Accused St. John’s murderer demands to be tried by King Charles III in profanity-laced court appearance
THE STORY CONTINUES BELOW THESE SALTWIRE VIDEOS
ST. JOHN’S, NL – Three men charged with unrelated murders were indicted Wednesday morning, February 1, in the Newfoundland and Labrador Supreme Court, where dates for their individual jury trials have been set.
Dwayne Ginn, 39, is due to appear in court over two weeks from November 22, pending the results of a psychiatric evaluation ordered by Judge Vikas Khaladkar during the arraignment.
Ginn, who has been in custody since his arrest for the second-degree murder of 41-year-old Mark Hamlyn in Kilbride last June, spoke throughout his court appearances, often using profanity about the judge and lawyers and leading Khaladkar to a point to tell him to shut up or face a contempt charge.
“Are we setting trial dates for you, sir?” asked Khaladkar.
“Will the case be tried before the king himself?” Gin replied.
“They will not be heard before the king,” replied the judge, prompting Ginn to ask, “Why not?”
The defendant told the court that he intended to take his case to Ottawa, where he would renounce his Canadian citizenship before pursuing King Charles III’s affair.
Defense attorney Jason Edwards asked his client if he thought it was a good idea to see a doctor. When Ginn agreed, Edwards asked the court to order a psychiatric evaluation, which the judge did.
“I’ve been trying to see a doctor since June,” Ginn told the court, holding up a stuffed toy monkey and saying it was a therapy doll he’s worn since childhood for post-traumatic stress disorder. “Why has it taken so long since June when I was first arrested? I haven’t seen a doctor yet. I should have been admitted sooner.”
“You will see a doctor soon,” Khaladkar replied.
Hamlyn died in the early hours of 14 June 2022 after being rushed to hospital by ambulance with serious injuries outside the Kilbride boarding house where he and Ginn were staying. Police arrested Ginn around dinner the next day
Patrick Sulurayok, 32, who was represented in court by attorney Bob Buckingham, was also charged on Wednesday. He has pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder of colleague Bernard Otuk and will face a jury in February 2024.
Sulurayok is accused of killing Otuk on June 22, 2022 in a rented cabin on the Roaches Line in Conception Bay North. The men, both from Nunavut, were crew members on a Baffin fishing vessel docked in Bay Roberts at the time.
Sulurayok spent about a month in detention before being granted bail with conditions allowing him to return to Arviat and continue working while awaiting trial.
Sheldon Hibbs, who was tried in a provincial court last week after a preliminary investigation, officially entered a not-guilty plea to his second-degree murder charge on Wednesday. He will appear in court in March 2024.
Hibbs is charged in the May 2021 death of 68-year-old Michael King, whose body was found by a member of the public on a trail in a wooded area between Waterford Bridge Road and Waterford Valley High School on Topsail Road. Police issued a nationwide arrest warrant for 27-year-old Hibbs a year ago and arrested him in Calgary last March. He was flown back to court in St. John’s and has been in custody ever since.